Declaration on copyright and exclusive licence to publish for report published in New Disease Reports
In order for your Report to be distributed as widely as possible in New Disease Reports (the "Journal") you grant the British Society for Plant Pathology (BSPP) as the sole publisher a free, full and unrestricted licence to publish the Report worldwide whether on the internet or in print.
In legal terms, the licence (termed the "Exclusive Licence") granted to BSPP is to provide:
- a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide and exclusive licence,
- capable of assignment and sub-licensing,
- for use, publication and reproduction of the Report whether in printed or electronic form or any other medium that is or may be known to copyright in all languages,
- with authority to administer any subsidiary rights agreements with third parties for the full period of copyright and all renewals, extensions, revisions and revival.
(For the avoidance of doubt, the provisions above collectively constitute the Exclusive Licence)
The Report is deemed to include the whole or part of all material submitted for publication with the exception of illustrations published as text figures, and so includes the text, tables, author contact details, additional key words and all supplementary material accompanying the Report.
Please read this Declaration carefully and then provide your agreement (or that of your employer) in the email message sent to you in confirmation that your Report has been accepted for publication in the Journal (see below). This will assert that the Exclusive Licence to publish it has been granted to BSPP; existing copyright ownership is not affected.
As author, you remain the copyright owner of the Report, unless copyright is owned by your employer or any other party (US Federal Government authors please note: your Report is in the public domain). Your Report will not be published unless you have confirmed your adherence to this Declaration and grant the Exclusive Licence indicated above.
Please note: You retain the following rights to re-use the Report, subject to you not selling or reproducing, or authorising the sale or reproduction of, the Report or any part of it for commercial purposes (i.e. for monetary gain on your own account or on that of a third party). These rights apply without needing to seek permission from BSPP.
- Prior to acceptance: We ask that as part of the publishing process you acknowledge that the Report has been submitted to the Journal. You will not prejudice acceptance if you use the unpublished Report, in form and content as submitted for publication in the Journal, in the following ways:
- sharing print or electronic copies of the Report with colleagues;
- posting an electronic version of the Report on your own personal website, on your employer's website/repository and on free public servers in your subject area.
- After acceptance: Provided that you give appropriate acknowledgement to the Journal and BSPP, and full bibliographic reference for the Report when it is published, you may use the accepted version of the Report as originally submitted for publication in the Journal, and updated to include any amendments made after peer review, in the following ways:
- you may share print or electronic copies of the Report with colleagues;
- you may use all or part of the Report and abstract, without revision or modification, in personal compilations or other publications of your own work;
- you may use the Report within your employer’s institution or company for educational or research purposes, including use in course packs;
- 12 months after publication you may post an electronic version of the Report on your own personal website, on your employer’s website/repository and on free public servers in your subject area.
Electronic versions of the accepted Report must include a link to the doi [http://dx.doi.org/10.5197/j.2044-0588.yyyy.vvv.nnn' (substitute yyyy, vvv and nnn with the appropriate year, page and volume numbers, with leading zeroes, when published)] of the published version of the Report together with the following text:
'The definitive version is available at http://dx.doi.org/10.5197/j.2044-0588.yyyy.vvv.nnn'
or you may use a shorter form for the link text:
'The definitive version is available at doi:10.5197/j.2044-0588.yyyy.vvv.nnn'
but the underlying link should be the same in both cases.
Please note that you are not permitted to post any PDF version of the Report (the "PDF Report") prepared from the NDR website online on another site.
You have already asserted that you own the photos or other illustrations for the text figures or that you have permission to use them when receipt of your submission to the Journal was acknowledged. Ownership of photos and other illustration is not affected by this Declaration and you may use the photos or other illustrations in other ways (e.g. posters, other reports). However, acknowledgment should be given to BSPP and New Disease Reports as the source of prior publication.
All requests by third parties to re-use the Report in whole or in part will be handled by BSPP. Any permission fees will be retained by BSPP. All requests to adapt substantial parts of the Report in another publication (including publication by BSPP) will be subject to your approval (which is deemed to be given if we have not heard from you within four (4) weeks of your approval being sought by us writing to you at your last notified address). Please address any queries to email@example.com.
In confirming adherence to this Declaration:
- You agree that BSPP may publish the Report as specified in your reply to the email notifying you that your Report was accepted for publication;
- You hereby grant, and are authorised to grant, the Exclusive Licence to the BSPP for use, publication and reproduction of the Report;
- You hereby warrant that this Report is an original work, has not been published before and is not being considered for publication elsewhere in its final form either in printed or electronic form and that you will adhere to the requirements stated above for your own use of the Report and the PDF Report prior and after acceptance of the Report for publication in the Journal;
- You hereby warrant that you have obtained permission from the copyright holder to reproduce in the Report (in all media including print and electronic form) material not owned by you, and that you have acknowledged the source;
- You hereby warrant that this Report contains no violation of any copyright or other third party right or any material of an obscene, indecent, libellous or otherwise unlawful nature and that to the best of your knowledge this Report does not infringe the rights of others;
- You hereby warrant that in the case of a multi-authored Report you have obtained, in writing, authorisation to enter into this Agreement on their behalf and that all co-authors have read and agreed the terms of this Agreement;
- You warrant that any formula or dosage given is accurate and will not if properly followed injure any person;
- You warrant that in the event that any further documents are reasonably required by the Editors and BSPP to assert any of the rights granted or purported to have been granted in this Declaration you will execute any such documents, as may be directed by BSPP, and at no cost to BSPP;
- You will indemnify and keep indemnified the Editors and BSPP against all claims and expenses (including legal costs and expenses) arising from any breach of this warranty and the other warranties on your behalf in this Declaration; and
- You declare that this Declaration shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.
Activities envisaged to have been granted to BSPP under the Exclusive Licence include arrangement by BSPP for the Report to be:
- Published in the above Journal, and sold or distributed, on its own, or with other related material;
- Published in multi-contributor book form or other edited compilations by BSPP or other publishers;
- Reproduced and/or distributed throughout the world in printed, electronic or any other medium whether now known or hereafter devised, in all languages, and to authorise third parties (including Reproduction Rights Organizations) to do the same;
- You agree to BSPP using the Report or any part thereof in any promotional or marketing material or any general instructions to authors on preparing Reports for submission to the Journal
You authorise BSPP to act on your behalf to assert the copyright in the Report if anyone should infringe it, although there is no obligation on BSPP to act in this way. As the Author, copyright in the Report remains in your name (or your employer’s name if your employer owns copyright in your work).
The rights conveyed in the Exclusive Licence to publish will only apply upon acceptance of your Report for publication.
Data Protection: BSPP may store your name and contact details in electronic format in order to correspond with you about the publication of your Report in the Journal.